Job Opportunity: Volunteer Center Coordinator
City of Buckhannon
Volunteer Center Coordinator Announcement
20-25 hrs/week, not eligible for benefits at this time
Grant-funded position through April 2019, with the possibility of extension
We are seeking an enthusiastic Volunteer Center Coordinator (VCC) for the newly-formed Buckhannon Volunteer Center (BVC), a virtual and physical hub for volunteerism in Buckhannon. This is a grant-funded position with funding secured through April 2019 and the possibility of extension for two additional years, perhaps beyond. As the Volunteer Center Coordinator, you will promote the Buckhannon Volunteer Center as a tool for City departments who utilize volunteers as well as partnering community organizations. You will be on the move, splitting your time with some office hours at Buckhannon City Hall, Colonial Theatre, Stockert Youth & Community Center (SYCC), and some time offsite at events, such as Festival Fridays, Farmers’ Markets, and fairs & festivals. You are a skilled communicator who loves interacting with people in the community. Creativity and the ability to see connections that will allow BVC to thrive are helpful traits for this position. We are also looking for someone who is organized and committed to evaluation and reporting on outcomes. You will work closely with City Council, City staff, particularly the Information Coordinator/Grant Writer, and our partners at Volunteer West Virginia and community organizations. As part of this role, you will share the #BeKind campaign widely and encourage residents and visitors to engage with the community by helping others. Let’s do this!
We need someone who can:
- Share the Buckhannon Volunteer Center with diverse audiences throughout our town.
- Manage the web-based volunteer center application; adding service opportunities, reviewing external postings, running reports on volunteer hours and activities for grant reporting.
- Help volunteers, City staff, and service organizations get the most benefit from the BVC; explaining how to use the database.
- Market the value of the BVC and volunteerism internally and to area organizations.
- Report BVC & volunteer data to Volunteer West Virginia.
- Knowledge of volunteer management strategies & practices.
- Knowledge of community strengths & weaknesses and ideas for how volunteerism can create opportunities for improvement and capitalize on strengths.
- Knowledge of Buckhannon 2015 & Buckhannon 2020 plans and City goals/initiatives.
- Knowledge of volunteerism as a community-building tool and as an asset for attracting new residents/talent to the area.
- Skilled in technology including social media marketing, online database management, and interactive web design.
- Comfortable creating marketing materials for print and web that draw people’s attention.
- An engaging and welcoming communicator, both in interpersonal and public speaking settings. You love people and working as a team!
- Desire to work evening and weekend events, particularly at the Colonial Theatre, Festival Fridays, Stockert Youth & Community Center and Volunteers in Police Service/Public Safety events.
- Can drive or secure transportation to work-related events.
Qualifications we seek:
- Bachelor’s degree in English, marketing, journalism, web design, community development, or related field
- 1-2 years of meaningful experience is desired
- Willingness to submit to background check and drug testing; sexual & violent offenses will disqualify applicants
- Fluency in English, both spoken and written
We’d love it if you have:
- Second language skills, particularly in Spanish.
- Experience volunteering & collaborating with other volunteers.
Interested? Please submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references to 70 E. Main Street, Buckhannon, WV 26201 or email@example.com postmarked or timestamped by April 27, 2018. Interviews will take place the following week and the hiring announcement will be made at an upcoming Ciy Council meeting. Position to begin as soon as possible following appointment announcement, but preferably no later than May 18, 2018.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The City provides equal opportunity to all applicants for employment and administers hiring, conditions and privileges of employment, compensation, training, promotions, transfer and discipline without discrimination regardless as to race, sex, age, national origin, creed, disability, familial status, sexual orientation or political affiliation. The City also prohibits retaliation against employees who have alleged discriminatory conduct. If you believe that you have been discriminated against in violation of this policy, we urge you to report the matter immediately to a Department Supervisor or to Amby Jenkins, Director of Administration. Our City fully subscribes to the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Act and the West Virginia Human Rights Act.
Amberle Jenkins, Assistant City Recorder