We Support the Arts
The Buckhannon City Council and City of Buckhannon value the arts in our community and recognize the benefits arts programming brings to our citizens and the power that art has to transform lives and bring joy to others. The City of Buckhannon has incorporated the arts in city planning and has numerous public art sites within corporate limits.
Public art map:
Please read the attached resolution in support of public art:
The City encourages artistic exploration and growth in the community and encourages everyone to get involved in our many opportunities to enjoy and/or participate in artistic expression through these partner organizations:
- Artistry on Main,
- Buckhannon-Upshur Chamber of Commerce,
- Buckhannon Choral Society,
- Buckhannon Community Theatre,
- Buckhannon Orchestra,
- Buckhannon Upshur Camera Club,
- Create Buckhannon,
- Festival Fridays,
- Stockert Youth and Community Center,
- Sunday Evening Concerts at Riverwalk,
- Upshur Arts Alliance,
- Upshur County Board of Education,
- Upshur County Convention and Visitors Bureau,
- Upshur County Development Authority,
- Upshur County Historical Society,
- West Virginia Strawberry Festival, and
- West Virginia Wesleyan College Arts and Music Departments.
Why support the arts?
This article looks at the broken window theory: that unkempt properties and vandalism increase crime rates. The opposite seems to also hold true, that aesthetically-pleasing environments, with floral displays and art, reduce crime rates and increase resident well-being.
This article provides more support for the arts as a crime prevention tool, as well as looking at how arts create livable communities that improve quality of life.
This website presents the results of a study that examined the economic impact of arts and cultural programs.