Gibson Library hiring Library Assistant
Library Assistant – Charles W. Gibson Library
Interested applicants must submit a resume, cover letter, and 3 references to Library Board, 105 E. Main Street, Buckhannon, WV 26201. Applications will be accepted until March 6, 2020.
Hours of Work:
- 30 hours-per-week, available to work afternoons and some Saturdays
- Hourly wage
- Retirement benefits
- Performs a variety of library circulation and clerical tasks with a concentration on public contact, and children’s programming and materials.
- High school graduate
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions
- Ability to learn Dewey Decimal system, circulation system software, and library circulation policies and procedures
- Ability to create a courteous, pleasant first impression of the library
- Flexibility to deal with multiple and extra unexpected tasks and patrons at the same time
- Basic typing/computer skills
- Able to regularly lift up to 25 lbs.
- One year clerical, library, or educational experience (preferred)
- Perform all circulation duties using computerized system
- Check materials in/out, renew materials, place holds on materials, issue new and update existing patron records
- Perform opening/closing procedures
- Notify patrons about reserved materials
- Answer phone calls as necessary
- Perform basic reference work
- Aid patrons with basic computer assistance
- Assist patrons in locating library materials through online catalog, Overdrive (eBook catalog), or Inter-Library Loan
- Shelve materials and check shelves for accuracy
- Develop, advertise, and lead children’s programming for ages 2-12 including a weekly storytime and annual summer reading program
- Assist with the selection of materials for the children’s department
- Attend training and conferences to improve children’s programming and services
- Perform any duties as designated by the library director in assigned work areas.
Posting on Charles W. Gibson Library website: